Monday, October 1, 2012

The Voice in your Head is a LIAR


You know that feeling that you get when you venture out into something new? That feeling you get when you are trying something new for the first time in your life and you are bombarded with all these emotions of fear and anxiety?
Since I have moved to Dubai, I have had this ongoing feeling that I am not able to do the things that I felt so prepared to do when I was in Toronto, but why?
The problem is that as I landed in Dubai, I thought my life would fall into place rather quickly. I would be able to adapt quickly. However, I learned that regardless of how easy things may look, things aren't always what they seem.
Moving from being completely dependent on myself to being completely dependent on everyone around me is not something to take lightly. This is perhaps the hardest part about being in Dubai - the feeling of being completely needy of everyone's help. However with time, this will change. I am finally starting to adapt to the country and the culture. The jet-lag has finally settled in and I am starting to learn my way around the city. However, I am still left with all these unresolved emotions of not being able to do certain things that I love.

Put all your fears aside and live the life you deserve

I have wanted to be a Zumba instructor since the moment I entered the fitness industry. I am now finally certified and have felt prepared to teach for months now. Yet, after arriving in Dubai, I feel that maybe I am not quite ready yet, or maybe I am not good enough to do it. How will my participants react? Will they like me? All these unanswered questions have been wandering in my mind and making me feel like I am inadequate to teach.
 So, I had some alone time to gather my thoughts and think about whether or not I'm prepared to go into a city that I don't know, and teach people whom I have never met and whose cultural backgrounds are different from mine. From my down-time, I have come up with a very rational response. First and foremost, "the first steps are always the hardest to take." In order for my dreams to come true, I have to look past my fears. I might not be amazing. In fact, I might fail once, or twice, or three times - however, with failure comes success. Secondly (and most importantly), you know that little voice in your head that keeps you doubting and questioning yourself and your abilities? You know, that voice that constantly tells you that you are not pretty enough, you are not smart enough, you are not talented enough, and that you are not good enough? That voice is a liar. 
If you want to do something, do it. Don't let anything or anyone stop you and do not let your fears overpower your confidence. You are a lot stronger and a lot smarter than to allow your fears to take over your dreams. Is there a chance that you will fail? Absolutely. Failure is inevitable, but, the worst regret we can have in life is not for what we have done and failed, but for what we have not done and succeeded.



4 comments:

  1. Well said Dina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe in yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dondon u r capable of wonderful things. God gave u a lot of beautiful talents including ur beautiful personality. We r all praying for u here. U will do wonderful things wherever u r in the world. Keep on touching ppls lives and hearts wherever u r. Dont keep ur goodness to urself, spread it! Muahhh xoxoxo. Love u and miss u

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Dina .A fulfilling future belongs to those with strong vision and resilience. It doesn’t matter where U might be now. Starting well n finishing strong is what counts.. Good luck dear.May your new Life be filled with love, Strength, and Peace.. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete