Monday, October 8, 2012

Thank YOU and Thank ME

Today is Thanksgiving day in Canada. This day isn't about the turkey, the stuffing, the pumpkin pie or the cranberry sauce. Thanksgiving is a day to really celebrate your blessings. Everyday we are reminded of the things that we are thankful for, but we never really acknowledge them or celebrate them as we should. Each person you meet in life, is fighting a difficult battle. Each person you don't meet, is likely fighting an ever bigger battle. It is disturbing, because I often wonder, why other people aren't as fortunate as I am. 
Today and everyday, I am thankful to God for blessing me with such a beautiful life. I am thankful for my family who have taught me to always be thankful for everything that I have no matter how big or small. I am thankful for my friends who have helped me survive the curves and bumps that were difficult in my life, and the same friends who continuously support me through the best and worst of times. I am thankful for my dog Pirlo - it is kind of strange because I am the human and he is the dog, and although I do everything for him - in a strange, weird, sort of loving way, he does the same for me. I am thankful for all the little materialistic things in my life that I don't really need but have. I am thankful for all the people who have have made my life difficult or who have walked out of my life; because by doing so, they have made me a better, stronger person. They have shown me exactly who I do not wish to be. 
Most importantly (and this is important because most people forget to thank this one particular person), I am thankful for myself (as you should be thankful for yourselves also). It's true that I am who I am because of everyone who has touched my world, whether or not they are still part of it. Everyone who has been in my life has somehow impacted who I am one way or another. I have come a long way with the beautiful people that surround my life, but every once in a while, we all need to just stop and really take the opportunity to thank ourselves. We don't give ourselves a break or enough credit for everything we do each and everyday to better ourselves. For example, without my determination, passion, and dedication, I wouldn't be where I am right now. I am thankful for allowing myself to go through difficult obstacles in life, in school and at work to realize my potential and just how strong I really am. I thank myself for not falling through the cracks or getting side tracked from reaching my dreams. We all have a choice of whether or not we want to succeed or fail, whether or not we want to stay on track or fall through the cracks. Although we have influences, each decision that we make is solely our decision, and each decision we make has a consequence. Depending on your decision, the consequence will be either good, or bad. If you have done something that has made you happy, or you are generally happy with your life, then you have made the right decision. As a result, you owe it to yourself to thank yourself. 



1 comment:

  1. What an amazing blog Dina! I really enjoyed reading your wise and inspirational words that make me appreciate the stuff I take for granted. I always look forward to reading your amazing blogs and you never fall short of my expectation. Looking forward to reading your next blog

    ReplyDelete