Thursday, July 14, 2011

My Canada Goose Experience



As I was driving through the city of Toronto today at around 7:30 pm, I was forced to stop in the middle of Eglington Ave because a Canada Goose was crossing the street. What caught my attention is that this Canada Goose was hopping on one leg and struggling to move the other leg. This Goose was definitely injured and had what looked to be like a broken or twisted bone in his or her left leg. 
Being the animal lover that I am, I naturally felt it was my duty to report this and to try to get this helpless animal any sort of attention. I followed the Goose and walked behind it making sure that I can visibly see it while contacting Toronto Animal Services. I called Toronto Animal Services where I was instantly put in an automated phone system that told me to press "1" if my call was an emergency call or if it was regarding an injured animal. Naturally, you would think that an emergency call would be answered instantly right? WRONG, I was following the goose for about 20 minutes until I finally got an operator named Sherry on the phone. When I explained my concern about the injured goose, there was an awkward silence, it was almost as if what I was saying was the most absurd thing she has ever heard of in her life. She then proceeded to tell me the most absurd and ridiculous thing that I have ever heard in my life. In a nut shell, she explained to me that she can contact someone to help me however, because it is after business hours, they will likely resort to "putting down the animal". I explained to Sherry that the Goose just needs some medical attention and does not need to be put down, she interrupted me and told me that these were the procedures and asked if she should contact someone to pick up the goose. So, after 20 minutes of being on hold and 5 minutes listening to the garbage she was saying, I was convinced that leaving the goose there to fend for itself was a lot better than killing it. Sherry proceeded to tell me that if I am still concerned tomorrow to go back to the area and look for the goose and call Toronto Animal Services during business hours and an inspector can come and take a look at the goose and give it the help it needs. Basically after hours, they resort to killing an injured animal, however during hours they would be glad to help. This is the STUPIDEST thing that I have ever heard and this is definitely not something I would expect from the city of Toronto.
I could be overreacting simply because I have a passion and a soft spot for animals. However, I can't help but wonder how valuable the Canada Goose really is. The Canada Geese are protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Act of 1918. This Act makes it illegal to harm or injure a goose or damage or move its eggs without a Federal permit. Failure to comply with this law results in fines ranging from $5000-$10,000. 
My concern is, we as Torontonians love our animals and agree with this law. However when it comes down to it, the city is more concerned over the fine or payment that you will be paying rather than the actual health of the animal. As I saw today the Canada Goose means practically nothing to the city. 
      I expected more from our city. What a shame. 

4 comments:

  1. wow, what a good read. it really is a shame though, with what's happening with the city right now i'm not surprised

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THAT YOU HAVE SO MUCH LOVE FOR ANIMALS!

    PS: That is nuts. Poor Goosey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your goose adventure is sad but not surprising. It is another example of budgets trumping common sense and humanity being removed from policy making decisions! You are correct - it is a shame!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's messed up. During business hours we help out, but after business hours we kill??? You should call in on the CityTV show once and embarrass them on air and tell all the viewers this story live on TV. I'm sure it would be a surprise to many and cause a stir. CityTV has a show once a week (don't know when exactly), where they bring this animal services organization on TV and take calls from viewers. That would put them in their place.

    ReplyDelete