Monday, February 14, 2011

I woke up, wishing I was in Egypt



Egypt's Vice President Omar Suleiman announced on February 11, 2011 that Hosni Mubarak has officially stepped down as president and that the Egyptian Military will take over temporarily until the next elections in September.
I want everyone to realize something realize the beauty of this revolution. It is because the youth of Egypt took a stand for what they believe in! These are people who are my age, your age, parents, sisters, brothers, aunts uncles, cousins.. They all came together to change Egypt to make a better Egypt. This means that every single one of us can make a difference and that's what its about.. its about our generation making a difference in the world. Don't ever let anyone tell you you can't change the world because believe me, you can. Don't ever stop dreaming because dreams do come true!


The Beauty that is Egypt
As a child, I noticed every part of Egypt. You don't have to be a genius to realize the beauty that is Egypt
I remember pointing out the Pyramids and think that there is no greater beauty in the world
I would think of the History of Egypt and think if I ever have a daughter, her name would be Cleopatra
I would go to the Pharaonic Village millions of times and still be fascinated by history every single time 
I went to Luxor and Aswan and decided, I want to be a tour guide to let everyone know what history is about
I was so young, and so clueless, yet I was fully aware of the beauty that is Egypt
I was aware of the history and the culture that made Egypt what it is and I loved Egypt because of it
I remember the heart of the Egyptian people
I have never in my life met a group of people who were so willing to pay for my meal
So willing to literally give me their last drop of water 
I have never met anyone who will continue to smile even though their day was not worth smiling about
I will never forget looking at the Nile and thinking there is no greater moment than this
I have never felt so secure in my life than this very moment
I remember visiting Alexandria and carving my name on the shore of the Mediterranean 
I would drive by the Baron castle and stare at it in amazement even though I live five minutes away from it
The most memorable memory I have in Egypt, would be when I volunteered at the Awladi Orphanage
I would go daily after school to visit this orphanage to see the kids there
I was only in grade 6 but, I guess my kindness comes from the Egyptian heart that I have
These kids didn't have money, clothes, homes, parents, yet these kids would smile over the smallest things.
This is what Egypt is. Egypt is happiness. Egypt is kindness. Egypt is generous. Egypt is love. 
And it is because of all this Mother, that I truly believe that there is a heaven on Earth
It is right by the Nile and the pyramids and in your heart. 

And it is because of you Mother That I am who I am today 
You are the beauty that is within me. 




5 comments:

  1. That's so nice, Dee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said!
    Great series of blogs D!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and pure. One who has never heard of Egypt can come to love it from how you describe it. It's very clear that every word you wrote is straight from your heart. As an Egyptian, your poem reiterates my pride and love for our one of a kind country. At this moment and at every moment, I wish to be nowhere but Egypt <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really you said all the words I always wanted to say but my expressions doesn't help me at all. I hope all the Egyptians love Egypt as you love it, and I believe that the whole world saw the true Egypt through your description.

    ReplyDelete